A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Steak with Honeycot Marinade



Pre-Script: I'm super tired. I don't think this'll be the best blog I've ever written.

Last week Marilyn bought Pop and I some steak. When I make the grocery list, I asked for hamburger and chicken. Since we'd had pork chops the night I was making the list, I decided not to order that meat. Instead, I wrote something akin to "some meat--you surprise us!" It ended up being steak.

So, last night, I decided to make a marinade. I chopped up--skins and meat--6 honeycots. (they're kinda like an apricot, but not as orange) I juiced two small lemons. When I was making the marinade, the smell of lemon was HUGE. I thought at that time that--perhaps--I should have juiced only one lemon. However, when I tasted the steak--though I could taste the lemon--it didn't seem like it was too much. Just for your information!

I also chopped up a handful of basil and a few sprigs of cilantro from my kitchen garden. I encourage anyone trying this recipe in the future to add more of each of the herbs as their taste in the finished product was very very mild. I also added a ton of pepper. Y'all know how much I like that stuff, yeah? I put the steaks in a seal-able plastic bag along with the marinade and let is work its magic for a day. Then I grilled it tonight. I also stir fried yellow squash, onions, zucchini, carrots, and celery with a bit of olive oil, some chopped tarragon and sage. Again, I think I may need to use more of the herbs in future.
Okay, so the finished product. Both the steak and the veggies tasted good, but they weren't like "Wow, party in my mouth." I'll prolly have to try again and tweak the marinade a bit and see if I can't make it more fiesta-ish. :)

BASIL HONEYCOT MARINADE
6 honeycots, chopped until they're mush
2 lemons--or limes, I suppose.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Mix 'em all together and marinate the steak

STIR FRY VEGETABLES

a bunch of veggies, which ever one you want!
some olive oil
two sprigs of tarragon
one sprig of sage
two little deals of garlic, minced

cut up the veggies,
cut up the herbs
pour the olive oil in to the pan, heat it.
add the minced garlic and let it cook up a bit.
add the veggies
add the herbs
stir until the veggies are cooked to the way you like them cooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )