A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

I found this unfinished story....

...near the VERY end of the emails in my inbox--from way back in 2008.

I CANNOT remember how Katie was going to respond.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Here it is:




She sat huddled and trembling under her Kim Possible comforter.  She'd been fast asleep when a noise had awakened her.   She was petrified because she was sure it was one of those pink-haired monsters.  Her brother, Donald, had told her all about them two nights ago.  "Yep" he said authoritatively, "There definitely ARE pink-haired monsters.   And they ALWAYS live under the beds of blonde-haired girls.   It cuz they like eating blonde-haired girls better than any other type of girl."

Katie shivered at the memory.   She was sure her brother was telling the truth, even though Momma had come into the room later and assured her that Donald was teasing her.

I mean, after all, she'd heard a noise just a minute ago.  She was sure she'd heard a soft voice singing the bedtime song her Momma sang to her each night.  "It's sundown time and the sun has gone away…."     The voice sounded a little different than her Momma, though.  There was a slight accent and it was higher pitched.

She ventured a hesitant "H-hello?  Who is there?  Monsters aren't allowed in here."  She made her voice sound as firm as she could "You must leave at once!"  She was surprised to hear a soft sob coming from under her bed.  "Please, don't make me leave!" said the voice with the accent.  "Everyone makes fun of me at home in Monster Land.   They say my hair is funny.   I just HAD to run away.   When I heard your Momma singing last night, I just KNEW this would be a great place to hide.   So, I snuck in earlier when you were taking your bath!   Please don't make me leave!  I don't know where I will go if you do!!"

Katie was surprised.  She didn't think monsters, even the  pink-haired ones, cried.   Donald had always told her that monsters only roared at people and ate them.   What should she do now?  Should she call her Momma?  Should she just try to ignore the monster and go back to sleep?  Suddenly, something occurred to her and she scooted over to the edge of the bed and leaned over it.  "Hey, do you need a hug, Pink-Haired Monster?  My Momma always gives me one when I am sad.  They really help."

The pink-haired monster shot out from under the bed with a look of surprise on her face. "D'ya mean it?  You'd give me a hug?"

"Well, of course I would" said Katie brightly, "Everyone needs a hug now and then.  I'll even sing you the bed time song if you want"

The  pink-haired monster beamed with joy.  "Oh, that'd make me very happy.  It'd almost be like I have a friend."

Katie looked puzzled for a moment and then smiled at the pink-haired monster. "I AM your friend!  No need to worry about THAT anymore!  Hey…since we're friends, dontcha think we should introduce ourselves?  My name is Cathryn Abigail Thomas.  But everyone calls me Katie. Hey, did you know my  initials spell cat?  Cool, huh?  What is YOUR name?"  she asked curiously.

The pink-haired monster hung her head in shame.  "I'm not sure I wanna tell you what it is." She said sadly. "That is the reason everyone made fun of me back home in Monster-Land."  

"Oh, pink-haired monster.  You can tell me!  I'll like your name whatever it is cuz I like you!!  Please tell me!!"  She put her hands together in a prayer-like position and looked at the pink-haired monster beseechingly.

"Oh, all right.  I'll tell you if you promise not to laugh."  She looked up at Katie warily.   Katie nodded her head vehemently and with a solemn voice declared "I give you my word as a Girl Scout that I will not laugh!!"

"My name is Slyvia.    All the other monsters think it should be spelled "sYlviA" and they laugh and laugh at me!!   But my mommy named me after her aunt Slyvia." 

"What a unique and fantastic name!!  You should be proud of your name!"

"Really" asked Slyvia with a smile on her face "Why is that?"

"Well,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )