A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

SK: (South Korea) A quick (laugh out loud) catch-up and 'The Dark Shadow Rap'

I've already realized that I haven't quite kept up with 'writing once a week or so.'   First off, I was being hopeful.  My muse sometimes takes vacations.  I guess I should just implement the 'discipline' strategy and write even if it is a little boring.  But--also--in my own defense, since the 26th of July, we've been doing 'Summer Camp' at work.  Summer camp is where--from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.--we do an English 'camp' with kids helping them understand English and the world a little better.  THEN after that, we do our normal schedule, from 2:30 to 8:30.  Sometimes, we get to leave at 7:30 and the boss takes over the last class, but not always.  Thankfully, this schedule ends Friday and we go back to just teaching from 2:30 to 8:30.

Needless to say, I'm a little tired.  And, honestly I'm still getting used to all of this 'whole new world' (I hope y'all sang that like Aladdin and Jasmine.) Also, I've had to go out to get stuff for every meal because--for some reason--my fridge keeps messing up and the boss is having a hard time getting in touch with the guy who fixes it.  So, I can't buy foods and keep it in the fridge cos--even if it works for a while--eventually, it will go out and all my food will spoil.  It is a challenge and annoying. However, yesterday, I talked with my boss, told him how much money I have wasted on eating out, (I usually only spend about $200 on food a month), and he promised to get the situation fixed ASAP.  (Oh, and today I get my first paycheck, Plus the  money I spent on a plane ticket getting here!)

Anyway, that out of the way, I do enjoy teaching (for the most part).  In the day time (2:30 to 5:30), we teach classes with several tweens, usually. Those are grammar based. But, in the evenings, our classes are with older teens and adults. Those classes are geared more toward fluency, rather than learning grammar and doing it properly.  So, we generally just have conversations about life and what is going on in the world.  I try to look at what has happened that day or what has happened in history.  We discuss it. I ask their opinions and then they get opportunities to express--in English--their opinions. It sharpens their skills with the English language, yeah?  

So, last night was a rare evening.  Usually, I have two boys who are about 14 or 15 (To be honest, the calculations involving Korean age verses International age still confuse me.)  Last night, Jeff was missing, so it was only David and me in class.  David lived in Canada for a year, so has a really good grasp of English and is a very intelligent young man, so he can understand some concepts that not all of the others can (You know, kinda like I cannot understand the concepts of Rocket Science.)  

Anyway, last week, Kevin, David, and I went over a modern poem and discussed the concepts therein.  David really seemed to get the ideas, so I thought it would be a good time to go over another one.  After we went through the poem, I noticed the entry right below it on the page. (My blog page, by the way)  It was an entry of a story that I began when I was about 8-10 years old and had left unfinished. It must have been a school assignment.  Sometime around 2005 or so, I found the ORIGINAL story in some papers that Mom has stored in boxes and had given back to me.  The boxes included many items from my childhood years, including this story.  After finding the unfinished story, I decided to finish it then and there and continued the story using people from my life AT THE TIME of finishing the story. It was a very silly ending, but it was fun to finish up this story 30 years in the making.  Here is a link to that story: https://pensivepollyanna.blogspot.com/2022/04/from-cobwebs-dark-shadow.html

So, David and I read, laughing heartily, this silly story and decided to incorporate boring short stories and poetry into something HE likes, which is rap. David and I decided to write a rap about the Dark Shadow.  He didn't want to share his, but I will share my terrible effort at writing rap lyrics.  When reading, please do me the favor of attempting to read/sing it in a rap style--otherwise it may seem even sillier than it already is.   OH, by the way, before you read it, please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puPRFGspl6w  It will give some context to the original story, plus--in reality--it is a really fun song and Leo Sayer is SO ADORABLE in this video.




So, anyway, after all of the reading and video watching, here is the rap I wrote:

                                    Dark Shadow

I heard him screamin' (The Dark Shadow)
up at his house.
I crept up toward it 
quiet as a mouse.
The sign on the door said 
'Come on in!'
I felt some fear, but
I walked up, quiet as a pin
Droppin' on the floor
of a quiet room.
But the dark Shadow had music
playin' with a loud, loud boom.
The song was talkin' 'bout the 
feelings he felt
about the girl he loved, he sho' spelt
out his feelings...She made his heart beat
But he was afraid she wouldn't 
like the sheet
he wore each day cos 
he was a ghost.
What he didn't know was
that she liked him the most
cos to Leo Sayer, he really like dancin'
And she truly believed 
it was the best way for romancin'.

The end of my terrible rap.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )