A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Saturday, August 6, 2022

SK: Trip to the bookstore in City Centre

The gate to our home, complete with the paper trash that is supposed to be picked up today.
An Interesting intersection in Daegu City Centre with SIX crosswalks. All the cars stop at the same time and all six crosswalks are free for walkers.  SOOOOO interesting.
The Kids dancing!
The Ferris Wheel behind the park.  I think is actually  housed on a rooftop. Didn't get close enough to check though. Next time!!


 I decided I needed to do something away from home, but not too far away today.  I heard that there is a bookstore that has an English Language section, so I hopped onto the bus from the stop about a two minute walk from my apartment.  It dropped me off about a 4 minute walk from the book store, so--after a few missteps trying to follow the map in the wrong direction--I arrived at the book store.  I had to take the escalator (what?!?!) up to the second floor.   I had no clue where the English language section was, but I saw a cute young man with a name tag, so I approached him.  I tried to remember the word for English, but it slipped my mind. I took a chance and he understood me and directed me right to the section.  It is smallish; however, there are plenty of books that I would enjoy reading, so--I can spend every bit of birthday and Christmas money there if I want to do so.  They had a great children's section and a classics section and even a non-fiction section about stocks and self-help.   I'm sure none of you will be surprised when you discover that I bought the first book in the Harry Potter series.   I thanked my helper (in Korean--I remembered that much.)  He said something in return that sounded suspiciously like what might have been 'you're welcome' or 'It was my pleasure" or something similar.  I paid for the book and walked down to the street level.  As I walked back in the general direction of the bus stop, I noticed a few stores that were located downstairs.  One thing I've noticed here in Korea is that every building seems to have  basement level shops.  Another thing is that every other shop is either a) a coffee/bakery, b) a coffee/dessert shop c) a coffee shop d) or a bakery.  Also, just like in the States, there seems to be 7-11s on every street corner.  

Anyway, so I went down to the basement level and wandered through a kitschy souvenir/stationery store. On my way out of it (wisely having decided not to buy anything), I noticed what looked like a WHOLE 'nuther store on the other side (basically directly beneath the street).  After I entered the store, it turned out that it was a whole MALL directly under the street where the cars drive.  It didn't have anything I needed today, but I certainly no where to go if I need shoes or phone cases!

After entering back onto street level, I turned right down a street that had a TON of activity. It was like a strip mall version of the Domain in Austin.  I saw nearly every shoe store I'd ever seen in the States located somewhere on this 8-10 street shopping community.  I also noticed a ton of coffee shops (ha!) and a group of kids, about 16 in number doing performing dance numbers together in front of a camera.  It was adorable and made me smile.  Ahhhh, the hope of the future found right smack dab in the middle of a group of dancing teenagers in Daegu, South Korea.  Their enthusiasm was beautiful.

After awhile, I got back on the main drag and headed back toward the bus station area. I passed a beautiful, small park and sat down to read a bit of my newly acquired HP book. I also noticed a Farris wheel and a really cool sculpture of the earth taking a dip in a little pond in the middle of the park.  I should have taken a photo...but maybe next time. Later I walked passed an elderly man (a homeless person, I suspect) who saw me and began spouting all the English he knew (which was church phrases).  It made me wonder if he thinks all white people are Christians coming to Korea to preach.  I just smiled and waved and kept walking. I didn't have anything for him.  

I caught a different bus home, except I stopped at a burger joint first. My co-worker, Sara, suggested it to me and it was delicious. It had the added benefit of several things:  a) American music playing on the overhead, and the cashier who--with his mask on--looked a lot like my little bro, Douglas Paul.  He was pleased by my comment, checked on me during my meal, and smiled when--as I left--I said, "Kamsamhabnida, Namdtongsaeng."  which is basically, "Thank you, Little Brother."  

As I finished the 20 minute walk home, I put on my headphones and listened to Motown.  It turns out that I walked 10,334 steps today, so I'm not going to feel any kinda guilty about that burger and half, and small order of fries I ate at the burger joint.  The first part of my journey was hot and sticky, but this final section (the walk home after dinner) was just gorgeous.  Although, admittedly, Motown in my ears may have added to its beauty. 

So, anyway, I'm home now.  I'm going to try to make myself study some Korean so that I know how to say more than 'Thanks, Little Brother!"  It should be about 6:25 at the beginning of your Saturday and I hope it is a beautiful one!! :)

Love y'all!

P.S. I'm too tired to spell-check, so--if there are mistakes, please forgive. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )