A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Zesty Orange/Lemon Pancakes





I know it sounds weird. I'll give ya that from the start, but I--for some crazy reason--decided to add some juice to the last of my pancake batter this morning and it turned out fantastically!
Here is what I did:
In a larger bowl, I stirred together
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
Then, in another, smaller bowl, I stirred together
-1 beaten egg
-1 cup of milk
-2 tablespoons cooking oil
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-1 tablespoon almond extract
Then I poured the wet bowl into the dry bowl and stirred them together.

I didn't measure the additions, but since I was juicing two oranges and two lemons this morning for breakfast, I poured into the batter approximately 1-1/2 tablespoons of the orange/lemon blend and stirred.
After I poured that "juiced" batter onto the greased pan, I took a metal zester and shaved off some of the orange rind onto the cooking pancake.
The taste was very subtle, but there. When the maple syrup was added to the "zesty" pancakes, the combination of the four flavors: whole wheat, orange juice, lemon juice and maple syrup was fantastic. I'll be experimenting with it again in the future because I want to get it right, yeah? The zesty orange/lemon pancakes added just that little extra bit to what was already a lovely breakfast.

The other half of breakfast was a two egg omelet with chopped mushroom, cilantro (fresh from my garden), spinach, shredded monterrey jack and cheddar cheeses. Oh, and a healthy dose of black pepper! Really very lovely meal. If you try it or have some other ideas, let me know!

Lolly Fabulous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )