A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

 So, today I was trying to get all my ducks in a row in regard to my diploma/transcript, etc.  I  called to ask for guidance and the sweet lady told me she would have someone call back.   So, about three hours later, I get a call back from a lady, let's call her 'Doctor Ri." She is a professor at the college.  We were discussing what hoops I needed to jump through to get all this good junk completed, and--as you know since I was part of the conversation--we talked about other things, too.

I was talking about how lacking in organization and practicality I am because I am a free spirit, and that sort of thing (often) is part and parcel with free-spirits. I told her that I got it honestly from my biological mother via DNA  She barely let me finish the statement when she said QUITE firmly, "No. It's all environmental. I'm a sociologist. I should know."   I responded, "Really?  My Daddy got custody of us girls when I was two. I wasn't raised with  her at all, but--in SO many ways--I am just like her. I just presumed that some of that HAD to be genetic."    

It was just a weird interaction.  She clearly has been a teacher (and probably a professor) for many, many years because she is used to her word being law.  In fact, there were several moments in our interaction wherein she was kind of berating/'teaching' me.  By the end of the conversation, she had gotten a bunch cooler. She was very helpful and encouraging about my future plans, etc., but I was so put off by her immediate insistence that the scientific field of DNA had no bearing in how people turn out.  Because, OF COURSE, it cannot be only environment.  I grew up with three siblings. We were all raised in pretty much the same environment, but we have four distinctly different personalities. Many families are the same way. How can she explain that ubiquitous fact?    Just such a weird interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )