A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Saturday, February 12, 2011

a project!

I copy and pasted this from my facebook blog. Please forgive! and please help!

Hi y'all,
I realize i haven't been writing notes much. That is mostly cos i've been writing on my blogs (pensivepollyanna.blogspot.com and pollyannascameraphone.blogspot.com--sorry for the shameless plug)

but I"m here for a different reason. My nephew is in basic training right now. he is beginning his third of eight weeks. He wrote a letter to his wife (my niece, Amelia) recently and mentioned that only about 3 of his fellow flight-mates get letters from home or ANYONE. Sam asked Amelia is she would tuck in some letters to "Dear Airman" into our letters to him. I write Sam every day the mail runs. I think it would be easy for me to tuck in a few extra letters.

but what I"m here to ask is this: maybe some of y'all could write letters to Sam with letters to the other airman in them? I've been through what he--and the airman who aren't getting letters--is going through now myself 23 years ago. It is HARD, emotionally, physically and I CANNOT believe the families of those men don't send letters to encourage their boys and remind them that they are loved.

These men have joined the Unites States Air Force and--as one of my friends here on Facebook said last November--have written a blank check to our country and to US. This check is written for an amount up to and possibly including their lives. It is for the sake of us, the good of this country, and for other peoples around the world who need our help.

Someone should be letting them know that they are appreciated while they are enduring the hardship (not exaggerating) of Basic Training. If any of you feel inclined to write short (or long), encouraging, newsy letters about anything--about how proud you are of them. about something cool that is going on in your life. about something NORMAL that is going on in your life. about a special memory you have about your grandpa. about WHATEVER. just so they know that they matter, I"d really really appreciate it and I know they would too. I can't begin to tell you how much my Mom's almsot daily letters meant to me while I was there.
Please, help if you can.
for now--I'll update when we get s0me namea of some of the airmen-- you can write Sam (and include the other letters for the other airman inside) at this address:
AB Neris Macey, Samuel R.
321 TRS/FLT 231, Dorm B-4
PSC 3
1320 Truemper Street, Unit 364049
Lackland AFB, Texas 78236-5570

You can write Sam if you wanna, but put something general in the salutation part of the letters for the other airman--like Dear Airman, or whatever. Oh, and no packages. they get in big trouble for getting them. which is weird cos I remember people getting packages when I was in, but hey, guess the rules have changed!

Thanks, Y'all. :) I appreciate ya.

Love,
Loralee
p.s. please forgive the typos. It is late and my typing dyslexia and all that is on high speed. ;-P
and P.P.S. If you have a group to which you belong and wanna do a "project", consider this one! (like say--McCarty Student Center or the youth group at Southwest or things like that! Or a family project if you are a veteran with kids at home or even a non-veteran family. they could write notes. Or teachers could have their classes do it! soccer teams could do it! Or sororities might do it for their project. Or home school kids might do it once a week or something. anything would be great! I bet those boy would even love scribbles from a one year old!
feel free to pass this info on to anyone who wants to help. tuesday ladies bible class, perhaps?

1 comment:

  1. Plan to send some notes. Was just not sure what to write to someone I don't know but this helps a lot. Just anything, huh? Has the electronic communications made old fashion hand written letters passe so that families don't even write their own kids in basic training? How awful and cut off from the world that must seem!!!
    And these old hands can even type them so they are legible. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )