A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Friday, July 22, 2011

Majority Rules? Sadly, it looks like it.

I was doing my daily reading in a book on politics that I have bought. I ran across this little section which says:

"The majority rules, but the Constitution controls. The Constituion restricts some of the effects of majority rule. If a right is protected by our Constitution, the majority cannot pass laws or adopt policies restricting that right. Our courts would declare such actions unconstitutional." (Politics For Dummies, 2nd Edition, page 15)

Reading that paragraph got me to thinking about the way the wind has been blowing in our nation lately. Religion is being forcibly 'hidden under a bushel.' And to be honest, it is more often 'Christendom' which is being hidden rather than some of the many others. Political Correctness has made our nation one which runs screaming away from threatened lawsuits instead of standing her ground. Whatever happened to the First Amendment?

"Article [I.]

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

That means that everyone gets to practice the religion of their choice. That means that Islamic people can kneel facing west three times a day, if they wish. That means Atheists can say what they would like to say regarding the existence of God. It should also mean that Christians should also be able to believe in and discuss the tenants of their faith as well. But that isn't what is happening, is it?

If anyone tries to stop an Islamic person from kneeling on their prayer rug, then someone cries 'Foul!' The KKK may march and assemble and spew their hateful rhetoric, if they wish. That ridiculous Baptist group from up north can picket military funeral and spew garbage and they are backed up by the courts of our land.

However, we of 'Christendom' are forced to hide. No prayers at football games just in case 'someone' is offended by it. I'm offended when Atheist deny the existence of Christ and call me ignorant for believing in Him, but I don't cry 'Foul!' and insist that they be disallowed their right to express their opinion, do I? Nope. Cos I know what the laws are in our land. Do I like what they're saying? Nope. But they have the same rights I have.

We are forced to take down the Ten Commandments from our Justice Buildings. We are forced to take down Christmas decorations or call the season 'Winter' Holiday so as not to offend those who don't think much of Jesus of Nazareth. (Whether or not the season is really when Christ was born in a different story for a different day; however, it is being squelched cos people want Christ to be like children--not seen and not heard)

I find it all kind of ridiculous, but I also do not see it stopping. At the end of my lifetime, things will be much worse than they are now and I'm not sure there is anything I can do about it but to pray.


I want to address one more idea herein. Many, many people cry as loud as they can that the constitution requires "separation of church and state." What they mean by this phrase is that not one single thing touching religion can have anything to do with "The State." They think this means no prayers at football games or no Ten Commandments hanging from a courtroom wall and so many other things. I think they are wrong. Following is the one proof I will present in regard to this matter.
Here is the letter Thomas Jefferson wrote which included the phrase 'separation of church and state.':

Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
Jan.1.1802.

This "wall of separation of church and state' had EVERYTHING to do with allowing United States citizens to practice and express their religious beliefs and NOTHING to do with taking the Ten Commandments out of Courthouses and stopping young Christians to pray before a ball game.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I'm just presenting some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )