A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

YouTube video which lifted me up on my soapbox

Warning: This is very probably a rant.

I just happened to watch this particular video a few moments ago.

After watching it, I was just appalled. Does she not get it AT ALL? You CANNOT vote in the United States if you are not a citizen!! Additionally, there are cases wherein even United States citizens are not afforded the opportunity to vote: Convicted felons. As I'm sure most are aware, that means that those people did something illegal and are being punished for it. One of the punishments is you NEVER get to vote again.
Guess what? Being in our country without having gone through the appropriate means you have committed a crime. So, you have two strikes against ya for voting rights. (a. you aren't a citizen and therefore have no right to vote, and b) you have committed a crime against the laws of this nation.)
The fact that the woman in the video thinks it is just some right-wing conspiracy to stop democrats from voting is ridiculous. And to liken it to the behavior of racists during the civil rights era is nearly downright slanderous, if not straight-up lying. It matters not. Either way--If you're slanderin' or lyin'--you're still just plain ol' behaving badly.
I know this'll get me dinged by some people, but--seriously--do (some of) these politically left-leaning people really NOT see their irrationality of their thinking on this particular issue? It is crazy!
Some might say "Well, they live here and work here. The government should just give them citizenship." Well, I'm all for forgiveness and all that, but true forgiveness requires repentance, yeah? I really liked the idea George W. Bush put forth for a "rational middle ground between granting an automatic path to citizenship for every illegal immigrant and a program of mass deportation." I can't remember it exactly and I can't find it outlined specifically, but I remember reading about it. Give illegal immigrants a chance to come forward, get a card which is a) hard to destroy and b) clearly labels them as non-citizens. Then institute a program wherein they--over a period of time--pay a certain amount of money to the government in installments. I can't remember if the money they are paying is a) all or a portion of back taxes they might owe, or b) a punitive fee in order to teach a lesson in regard to the crime they've committed or what. But at the end of the period of time when fees are paid and paperwork is filed and they have shown their intent to be good (i.e. not criminal) citizens of our nation, they they would get citizenship. And--if my memory serves--the amount of time isn't even as long as the normal seven year waiting period endured by legal permanent residents. To me this idea seems like a really great compromise in which both sides should at least feel like some of their issues are being heard.
Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. I'm just giving out some food for thought.

Hope y'all have a fabulous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )