A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Phoenix Project, 13JAN11

On the day after Christmas--as I was driving back home to Buna--I saw myself in the mirror of a truck stop. Man, I looked OLD! 'Course that could have been cos of my lack of sleep the weeks leading up to Boxing Day. Whatever the reason, I felt and looked old. I was also completely aware of the fact that I have gained some weight since I moved to Buna. Very few of my clothes fit me anymore. Because of these new realizations, I decided that I must make some changes. I'm writing this blog a little late cos I've already begun the project. Two days before New Year's Day, I began exercising.

I bought some exercise DVDS. One is a Latin Dancing Cardio DVD taught by some of the professional dancers on that celebrity dance show (can't remember the name). One is a Kettlebell workout with Jillian from The Biggest Loser. One is a 4-DVD bellydancing set. Of course, there is also walking and hiking on my days off and dancing around my room with my IPOD in my ears. So, I haven't been able to work out every day, but I'm getting to the point where I'm enjoying it. So, I think it'll be easier than I thought it would be.

Some of you know that I went to the Cardiologist on Monday. There is nothing really wrong right now. My heart rate does go really high sometimes, that's true. However, it always goes back down to normal eventually. The doctors seem to think that this is a good sign. I'm going to trust them, of course. One thing that makes me happy about the result of this visit to my Cardiologist is that I don't have to any more medications for my heart! YAY! One thing she emphasized; however, is that I MUST get my diabetes under control and I MUST work on getting and maintaining a healthier body. What a task!!

I have a seriously challenging project to accomplish. My Cardiologist, PA Joshua, told me that I MUST commit to a complete lifestyle change. I have to exercise an average of 20 minutes a day. I have to change my eating style. I have to stay away from sugar as much as possible (sigh). I have to stay away from salt as often as possible. She suggested baking and grilling and chicken and fish more than any other options. She suggested more fruit (which Pop and I are pretty good about anyway) and veggies. Also, more water!!

One good piece of news is that I'm already losing weight. Granted it isn't much, but I've lost 2 pounds since my last visit to the doctor. On the way home from the doctor, I bought a Brita water filter. Ya know, those bottled waters can start building up to a hefty price. I bought the Brita for $20.00. Granted the replacement filters can be a bit expensive, but even if they're $ 15.00 each, they're supposed to last two months. Buying 6 to 8 servings of water a day can build up, too, yeah? I also bought some veggies (brussels sprouts, asparagus, and some lettuce) so hopefully, we can get started right away with this new commitment.

So, I'm calling this The Phoenix Project. I'll be updating at least once a month with new numbers--even if they're bad numbers. I won't be telling you which body parts I'm measuring (although perhaps you might guess) I'll just have them numbered and I'll report on how much I've gained or lost on the numbered area. Hopefully, the numbers will change in a more healthy way. Since I will be doing some weights (Jillians's Kettlebell) then the numbers may go up, but that'll be cos I'm gaining muscle instead of losing fat--although hopefully, I'll lose fat, too.

So, now you're informed. Let's get on with The Phoenix Project!
Here are the numbers, taken today 13JAN11:
1-17 6/8th inches
2-43 inches
3-39 inches
4-45 5/8 inches
5-15 inches

And here is a picture of me taken on 03JAN11, a few days after I started the exercising. I'll be taking this picture once a month so you can see if any changes are taking places. Okay, wish me success!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with The Phoenix Project! I am sure with your positive attitude that it will be just the thing to improve your health.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )