A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fourth of July Coleslaw






Tomorrow we're having dinner on the grounds. I decided I'd try to do coleslaw again as it has been prolly 8 months since I've done it. I've always tried to make it without mayo, but have never been able to find one that looked good enough to make.
Today, I looked in my red and white checked cookbook (better homes) and found a basic recipe. I tweaked it a bit, and if nothing else--it looks pretty!
Here is what I did:

Fourth of July Coleslaw
-Six cups cabbage, shredded ( I used green, but I imagine you could use purple and it would be more colorful. I'll admit I don't know the difference in taste between purple and green. Perhaps switching them would be bad. If you happen to know the answer to that question, please let me know!)
-Three medium carrots, shredded
-Two stalks celery, shredded
-One green pepper, shredded
-One red pepper, shredded (if you wanted to add yellow or orange, you could do that for more color. If I'd had peppers of those colors, I would have added them for an even more colorful coleslaw. Part of me thinks that a more colorful coleslaw is a more delicious coleslaw ;-)
-4 small green onions, shredded
-1/2 cup Kraft Romano Basil Vinaigrette Dressing (I think it is possible that you could use a bit less, possibly.)
-2 teaspoons sugar.

I shredded all those vegetables and stirred them together, then set them aside. I combined the vinaigrette dressing with the sugar and then poured the combination over the vegetables. I ate a bite before I set it in the fridge to chill (It requires at least an hour of chilling) and was very pleasantly surprised! Not only is the stuff purty, but also, it was DEEEEEE-Lish-oouussss!! I hope the others at the Hwy. 92 Church of Christ also think so tomorrow. However, if they don't, then Pop and I have something yummy for a side dish all week! YAY!
Happy Eating!
Love,
Lolly Fabulous :-P

Perhaps sometime this week, I will blog about my perpetual failure at making what I think should be good--Orange Chocolate Brownies. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )