A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Venti



I recently learned that the Italian word for "20" is "Venti." My first thought upon learning it was "I wonder why in the world Starbucks uses the Italian word for "20" for their large drinks. The question has bugged me for the last month or so. Why?
Finally, last Saturday, as I drove to Jordan and Erin's wedding, I learned the answer! I had driven two hours on my journey and was in one of Houston's suburbs on I-10 when I realized that I had better take a bathroom break and get a latte. Finally, I found a Starbucks and ordered a "tall" latte with sugar free hazelnut flavoring (by the way, that particular Starbucks makes a very bitter latte with hazelnut). I looked up at the menu, hoping to learn a clue as to their usage of "20" in place of "large" when I noticed 5 tiny little figures immediately below the word "Venti."
They were the following:
2 0 o z.
"Aha!" I said, maybe even aloud. "Venti is so named because the beverage is held in a 20 ounce cup! Thus, Venti!"
Mystery solved.
As a quick wrap-up, I gotta say, "Bevo il latte."

gotta go. I'm learning some Italian while Pop takes a nap.
Love,
Lolly Fabulous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )