A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Friday, July 2, 2010

Garden Work






I want to apologize at the beginning. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't give you actual pictures of what I'm doing as I go along. For now, I'm going to use photos from the internet. I DO have a one-use camera and I'm taking pictures as I go along, so in a week or two when the camera is full, I'll be able to process it and put them online. Soon as I can, I'll get a camera, i.e. when I get the money.
So, what am I doing that requires pictures? I'm starting a garden! Yesterday, Pop and I began preparing the bed for my little garden. I used a post hole digger--yes, I did!--to tear the grass away from the dirt. I put a "border" of just dirt around a rectangle of grass. I plan to dig out a portion of my rectangle garden every day. It is hard work and I'm not used to using those tools, so I don't usually last very long. I imagine that it may take 4 to 5 days to get the grass free from dirt and till it.
Yesterday, I was "post hole" digging the grass out when Pop came over to ask if he could help. One of the things about Pop is that he wants to feel useful. I always try to find something for him to do if he asks. When I'm cooking dinner, I get him to put plates and silverware on the table, etc. He always wants to help carry things or fold clothes or whatever. Yesterday was no exception. He asked if he could help, so I told him that he could start taking the grass away from the rectangle on the opposite side from me. He did so in a very practiced way; and, then he kept going! Soon, he had dug a 12-inch hole at the other end of my garden. I didn't really need any kind of 12-inch hole in my garden, so I guided him over to the side of the garden where I had already taken the grass away to make the border. He began loosening the dirt with a little hand-held tiller, but he soon tired of that way of accomplishing his task. He walked over to the fence where all the tools were leaning. He picked up the oddly shaped shovel and headed back over to the border where he was supposed to be tilling. And--be began tillin...errr...digging again. Soon, my border was a 6-inch ditch around my garden. I guess those spots won't have any plants. I suppose I can always buy some bricks or other border material to surround the garden.
Pretty soon, I was tired, so we quit trying to take the grass off of the surface of my garden area. We were sitting nicely on his rocker lawn chairs when I noticed that all my seedling plants were getting too big for their little starter pots. I spent the next hour singing ( I made up some of the songs myself: o/' come out gently, Basil. Please, come out gently, Basil o/' and o/' Oh Tipper, pretty doggie, this cilantro ain't for you. Doggies don't eat cilantro, but their humans do. So, stay away from the cilantro, puppy--stay, stay away! o/' o/' weird songs, I know, but we are talking about me, aren't we?) and re-potting the basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, mint and dill. I also planted three or four pots full of Gerber Daisy seeds. I can't wait 'til they bloom in late August!
So, now I'm tired and have, not only a bunch of sore muscles, but also some pretty kitchen herbs who'll have more room to grow.
OH! I also bought a Hibiscus plant and was given an almost dying Swiss Chard Plant on Tuesday. The hibiscus dropped the two blooms it had, but Thursday another bloom came around. It was a perfect red and so beautiful. I'm thinking I may have to get a few more Hibiscus plants the next time I run across some. The Swiss chard was a different story. I like that stuff, by the way. It is good to add it to other lettuce leaves in a salad. It adds a unique taste and texture. Worse comes to worse, I can add to to my breakfast shake, yeah? So, Tuesday when I was at the nursery, the adorable young man with one of those very charming Southeast Texas boy accents told me he was going to throw it out and that I could have it for free. I was stoked! When I got it home, I cut off all the holey and droopy and dying leaves. To be honest, I was left with about 6 leaves by the time I was done trimming. I watered it generously and set it out in the constant light rain yesterday (thank you, Hurricane Alex!) By the end of the day yesterday, those six remaining leaves were standing up straight and tall and proud and I'm certain that it is possible I may have some swiss chard to add to my salads very soon.
I'm wondering if I should plant it in the ground. Any suggestions?
So, that was a fabulous part of my yesterday. I'm so excited about this gardening thing. I think I'll be learning a lot. Actually, I've learned a bit from the book my little sis gave me for Christmas on container gardening. (thank you, Vicky!) If you live nearby--well then maybe I'll have some veggies for ya!
So, I'll see ya tomorrow!
Lolly Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )