A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Friday, July 16, 2010

Wordology # 2

I love words. I guess as a writer, I kinda have to love 'em, yeah? They are the tools of my trade. I have a large number of books--that I have bought at Half Price Books over the years--that deal with language and words. Even the gardening book I'm reading--whilst I've been setting up my garden--discusses etymology at times. I've found myself fascinated lately by little tidbits I've learned here and there. Well, y'all--Dear Readers--are gonna have to deal with my fascination, I suppose.

Have ya heard the word "passel"? Its meaning is basically "an unknown large amount." For example: "Then cookies that ma o' yorn is a'bakin' shore smell purty good. I shore 'nuff could eat me a passel of 'em."

'Passel' comes from this odd quirkiness of spoken English. If there was an 'r' before another consonant in the middle of a word, it was the tendency of English speakers to drop the 'r.' Several of our words have stemmed from this bent of ours: cuss from curse, bust from burst and of course, passel from parcel. The word originated in the 15th century, but didn't become popular 'til the 19th century.

Anyway, there is some wordology for ya!
Hope you enjoy.
Love,
Lolly Fabulous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )