A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Really Forgetting What Lies Behind


On the day that I officially moved here to Buna, I began my day in another tiny town called Whitehouse. I stayed the night with a couple whom I adore, Lynn and Mary. As I was preparing to head out, Lynn and I were looking at a map, kinda making a strategy for my trip home. I was to head south to Ponta (pronounced Pon-tay, by the way) and then turn left on 204. On the way to Nacagdoches, I was to pass through two oddly named towns. The names of the towns? Reklaw and Sacul. Weird, yeah? According to "legend", the towns were named by former outlaws who wanted to be the opposite of what they used to be. Instead of naming the towns after their old outlaw selves, they named the towns the EXACT opposite of what they used to be. Former outlaw Walker named his town Reklaw and former outlaw Lucas named his town Sacul. I will put in an aside here. I looked online to confirm this story, but haven't found anything to accomplish that task yet.
Okay back to the point. If this story is true, then I kind of have to admire these two men. They endeavored wholeheartedly to forget what lay behind them and reached forward to what lay ahead of them (Phil. 3:13) They left behind what they'd known their whole lives--THEIR NAMES--in order to shed their old lives of sin. I wonder how many of us can say that we'd go to that length to get rid of our old sinful selves.
I'm not saying that we should change our names as Christians, but what I am saying that we should be TOTALLY dedicated to living a life which pleases our Lord, shouldn't we? I guess the question is: Do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )