A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Monday, October 18, 2010

Garden and Weather and Catching up

I was innocently walking through the garden section at Walmart last Tuesday. It was just the easiest way into the store in order to get things done in an efficient and timely manner. However, I noticed an area in the above-mentioned section which contained vegetable starters! Sigh. I mean, what do they expect of me? I'm only human! So, I wandered over to check things out. They didn't have any pepper plants or anything like that, but they did have something which interested me: Lettuce and spinach and Brussels sprouts (Oh, my!) I had to have them, of course. Though it took me a few days--I think it was Thursday before I actually transplanted them--I finally managed to get a few of them transplanted.
Only I didn't get them all transplanted. I was shopping at the local Ace Hardware (Ritter here in Buna)and noticed that I didn't have enough money to buy the dirt and planters needed for ALL the lettuce and spinach and Brussels Sprouts (Oh, my!) I was a little disheartened, but the garden lady there at the Ace told me that--since I had 18 starter lettuces and 18 starter spinaches and 9 starter Brussels Sprouts--I could plant them a few at a time over the course of several weeks. If I did it this way--she said--my harvest period would be longer because when the ones which were planted first started to die out, the others would still be harvest-able. Of course, I HAD to follow her idea seeing as I had not enough moolah. (Here y'all get to see the really weird part of me--"had not enough moolah"? where in the odd place that is my brain did THAT come from?) So, I re-potted three bibb lettuces, three spinaches, and four Brussels Sprouts. I also transplanted a Swiss Chard that I bought at the same time as the other veggies.
I have a ton more transplanting to do. I'm not sure how long they'll all last in those little starter pots though. Surely, they'll get tired of being so cramped fairly soon, yeah?
I also happened to have found a little aloe plant out under a tree near the sheds. I picked it up and decided it needed a little TLC. Aloe is good for a ton o' stuff, ya know?
I also included some pictures of the beautiful sky and Tipper and a few updates at the bottom of the other pictures. I'll you about them later. :)

In order--for now, anyway. sometimes, once I press "post" the order changes. So if things look weird, just kinda use some contest clues to see to which picture I am referring. :)
1. The three Bibb lettuces I transplanted.
2. Pop helping.
3. The Swiss Chard.
4. The Spinach.
5. The Brussels Sprouts
6. All of them in their little planters, including the Greek Oregano I planted a few weeks ago.
7. These are the "waiters." They're waiting on me to have a. the money b. the right time to plant. I keep them watered and in the sun, too. Can't wait 'til it is time to put them in their containers. We'll see how the salad eating goes this Autumn, yeah?
8 and 9. Tipper! She loves to lick all of us. If there is any exposed skin on my leg--if she is near--it is getting licked. Actually, it is pretty ticklish. She makes me laugh a lot. Once she gets used to ya, she is pretty playful. If I lay down in the grass (purposely far away from her), the MINUTE she sees me lying down, she starts running toward me at full speed, slowing down only at the last minute so she doesn't stomp me. When she reaches me, she starts licking me for all it is worth and if she isn't doing that, she is rolling around on her back, making friendly growling noises. I decided I wanted to try to get a picture of her running toward me and there it is: down there on pictures 8 and 9.
10 and 11. The sun was hiding behind the clouds out there over the shed. It just looked so coolio that I couldn't pass up the opportunity!
12 and 13. I just wanted y'all to see how much things are growing--well, at least the things that ARE growing. The hanging tomatoes were so tiny for the longest time. And just here lately (oh, epiphany! I've been feeding them fertilizer during the last month! aha!) they've been growing like weeds. I doubt I'll have tomatoes this year, though. I think they're still too small.
And the other picture is the one of the flower pot which holds seeds from Sam's wedding. Remember I told you that she gave us all flower seeds in a small burlap bag? Everyone at the wedding got one of those bags. I planted them the next week and they're all growing steadily. Maybe I'll see some flowers next Spring. But anyway, the seeds in the burlap bag were all different varieties, which I think you can tell by the picture. Most of the flowers are much smaller than the one which just happened to grow near the center. How cool is that? Anyway, I put my hand in the picture so you can have a gauge of how much taller it is than the rest of the little flowers in the pot. Pretty cool, yeah? So, anyway, here is what I have for today:





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )