A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rant: Unbalanced

I'm feeling a tiny bit like a rant. Ahead of time, I'll apologize for it. Here goes anyway, though:

I was filling out my application for the VA today. I got to the part where they ask what your ethnic heritage is. They had check boxes followed by descriptions of people. They had:
-Hispanic
-native american
-pacific islander
-white
-black OR African American
-other

Okay, so when I read it, I thought, "Why do they have a choice on the line for black people? They don't have "or Caucasian" on the white line. They don't have " or Latino or Mexican" on the Hispanic line. They don't have another choice on ANY OTHER LINE. Why can't we just choose one and make that the choice? Either would be correct. I have to say: I DESPISE political correctness. It chaps my ever-lovin' hide.

The choice ought to be Black or it ought to be African American. I know many people would chose the latter, and--really--it is their right to do so. However, I won't be using it, UNLESS when you refer to me you refer to me as Irish-Scottish-English-French-Cherokee American-Indian American. See how silly it would be to describe me in that manner? But all those names belong to me. But, I just call myself an American.

Needless to say, I was irked by that particular portion of the application.

Now another thing:
In the news lately, and on the talk shows, etc., there has been a huge uproar about this young man, Tyler Clementi, who killed himself because of gay bullying.
I must say: I DO NOT think that disrespecting, bullying, beating or doing any physical or mental abuse to a person because they are homosexual is right. What those kids did to Tyler was a sin--plain and simple.

However, I believe that if a young girl moved to Rutgers at 18 from--say Iowa or something--and her roommates filmed her losing her virginity and then broadcast it. When she subsequently jumped off of the George Washington Bridge, it wouldn't have made the such an uproar in the news and amongst Hollywood's elite. It might not have even made the news at all.

This death has made the news because the young man was homosexual. People want to rise up and say "This isn't right" because it has become popular to fight for homosexuals. It is politically correct, but it is unbalanced and really, not right.

And I guess this whole rant is about fairness. Be Black or Be African American. Let's everyone choose one. AND, get outraged about EVERYONE or don't get outraged at all. Gay people aren't any more special because they are homosexuals. Just like I'm not any more special because I'm white.I I am special, but it isn't because I'm white.) Just like my uncle isn't any more special because he is black, Japanese and white. (He is special, but not for those reasons.) Just because my friend Rachel is a woman doesn't make her more special. (She is special because she is Rachel.)

Anyway, all of that has annoyed me recently. Okay, end of rant.

2 comments:

  1. I want to clarify: I'm apologizing for ranting, but not for the CONTENT of the rant. I stand by the content. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I am not a fan of being "politically correct." Let us be who we are.

    You are right, just because someone was gay and bullied doesn't mean he or she deserves any more special attention than someone who is straight and bullied. Everyone everywhere is hated at some time or another.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )