A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Meme Week---Places I'd rather be

If you're a regular reader, you've already read this blog. In it, I answer several questions, not in triplicate, but in four-plicate. (I made that up, y'all. It isn't really a word, obviously, but I couldn't think of the right one.) One of the questions was "Places I'd rather be right now." I had to choose four of them. I chose:
-the beach
-Italy
-Taking a tour of the New England states with a really good camera.
-Gatlinburg, Tennessee

I'm pretty sure no one is surprised that I'd rather be at the beach. I don't really try to hide that fact. I am also certain that when anyone asks my favorite place in Texas to vacation, I reply "Rockport." It is a great place. More than great, really. It is a small artist community with the old downtown shops all full of locally made art. It has a great private beach and some interesting restaurants. In fact, it was at one of these restaurants--Aransazu's--where I learned to love Asparagus. In fact, ever since that trip in 2003, Asparagus has surpassed and maintained its superiority to green beans and all other vegetables available anywhere on the planet. Suffice it to say, I love me some Rockport, yeah?

And, I'm also sure that most of y'all know I bought the Rosetta Stone program for Italian and I'm learning it a little at a time. So, going to Italy does seem like a pretty reasonable thing to do, considering. And there is also the fact that in every picture or movie I've ever seen, Italy looks like such a beautiful place. And then there are the Italian boy brown eyes and the Italian boy accents. You know, there just are several reasons to love Italy, yeah?

And, I'm pretty sure most of y'all are aware of my new fascination with taking pictures. If you're not, then you are welcome to check out this page, or go to this one, change the "sort by" to priority (highest to lowest) and notice the first three items. So, by saying all of that, I am saying that it should be no surprise that I want to go on a photography tour of New England during this time of year, especially.

But I wonder how many people read "Gatlinburg, Tennessee" and thought "huh?" I don't often talk about Gatlinburg. However, my odd appreciation for it has been in existence for 30 years--since I was 11 in 1980. I've wanted to go there ever since I first heard the following words:

o/' o/' I thumbed my way from LA back to Knoxville
I found out those bright lights aint where I belong
From a phone booth in the rain I called to tell her
I've had a change of dreams I'm comin' home
But tears filled my eyes when I found out she was gone

Smokey Mountain rain keeps on fallin'
I keep on callin' her name
Smokey Mountain rain I'll keep on searchin'
I can't go on hurtin' this way
She's somewhere in the Smokey Mountain rain

I waved a diesel down outside a cafe'
He said that he was goin' as far as Gatlinburg
I climbed up in the cab all wet and cold and lonely
I wiped my eyes and told him about her
I've got to find her!
Can you make these big wheels burn?

Smokey Mountain rain keeps on fallin'
I keep on callin' her name
Smokey Mountain rain I'll keep on searchin'
I can't go on hurtin' this way
She's somewhere in the Smokey Mountain rain

I can't blame her for lettin' go
A woman needs someone warm to hold
I feel the rain runnin' down my face
I'll find her no matter what it takes!

Smokey Mountain rain keeps on fallin'
I keep on callin' her name
Smokey Mountain rain I'll keep on searchin'
I can't go on hurtin' this way
She's somewhere in the Smokey Mountain rain.
o/' o/'

For whatever reason, I've always connected with that song and with this town of Gatlinburg. I do think it is kinda funny that I have pretty much no interest in seeing Knoxville! None whatsoever.

But Gatlinburg! I imagine fog and clouds covering the grey and purple mountains. I imagine trees covered in green in Spring and Summer and yellow and orange and red in the Autumn. I imagine mountain paths where I could go hiking in the fresh air. I think I've even read somewhere that there are attractions like theme parks and such so that when I got tired of the fresh air and sunshine, I could be entertained at the shows and games and rides. It just sounds like such a great place to be.

Someday, I'll get there, I mean it! And I'm going--someday--all because of a Ronnie Milsap song. I wonder the places I could go if I paid more attention during songs I hear on the radio. Imagine that trip! A trip around the states--or THE WORLD--where the only places I go are places mentioned in song. Hmmmmmmmmmm...Interesting, yeah?

Where would YOU go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )