A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Random thoughts

It feels like I haven't written in years. I don't actually even know exactly how long it has been. I think the change of seasons has taken its toll on me. Before I even realize it, the day is over and I haven't my daily photo taken and I haven't written a blog. I'm just weary. So, who knows what I'll be saying to y'all tonight.

Some news: Two weeks ago, I bought a guitar. Yesterday I had my first lesson. My prof is pretty cool. He is one year older than I am and has been playing for 27 years. He rocks. When I brought him my guitar to look over before we began, he played "Puff the Magic Dragon" for me. I decided that sometime, somehow, I will learn to play it, also.

He seemed to be certain that with a little commitment, I could be playing songs I want to play soon enough. Right now--though--I am just learning chords and learning to transition from one to another "smoothly." I'm hoping to learn some old country, a Neal Diamond or two, and maybe some John Denver. I wonder if you can do Billy Joel on the guitar. (By the way, I may be spelling guitar correctly while I am typing, but in my mind, I'm saying it really really country-like. You know--GITAR!)

I'm not sure why it is that I decided to learn the guitar. I know that I've been silently debating between it and the piano for at least a year. I figured that since I don't have my own home, I should shelf the piano until later. I'm enjoying learning. I do enjoy learning. I'm hoping that these efforts at "investing in myself" are going to end up being more beneficial than just learning something new. Having spent the last year taking care of people with Alzheimer's, I just want to do whatever I can to stave it off. I don't want to have that disease. and well, there is another plus--I'll be able to play songs that make me--and maybe others every now and then--happy. I'd love to be able to have a conversation in a language other than the one I've always known. To be honest, I think I may pay for Rosetta Stone language every two or three years. I think they have about twenty languages. If I live 'til I'm 80, i can learn all of them! And maybe learn piano in five or ten years.

Also, I'm in the process of making some big decisions. I'm considering doing things with my life that have never felt comfortable before now. Is there anyone out there in my readership who feel like I do about careers? I really don't want to commit to something for twenty years unless it feels like I'm making the world a little better by doing the job. I've never felt that way about any job I've ever done. Plus, there is the fact that I've been trying to get this stupid Bachelor's degree done for twenty years. Someone pointed out to me the other day--I've been living the college kid life for too long. I'm considering several options with the goal of maybe becoming a grown-up. and being so in a way which honors my personality and my desire to make the world a better place a little bit--or one person--at a time. Whichever ones of y'all are praying folk, perhaps you could add my need for guidance to your list?

Can y'all tell I"m tired? I'm think I tend to just blab about everything when I'm extra tired. Okay so, with that comment, I think I'll head to bed. I'll have to convince Pop that his room is the place to be. Hopefully, he'll sleep through the night.

Good night to y'all. :)
love,
me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Loralee....You always make the world a better place! But I do understand what you mean about wanting to have a job that feels meaningful. However, keep in mind that what you are doing now (taking such good care of Pop) is making the world a better place, not only for him - immeasurably compared to some of the alternatives out there for patients with Alzheimers - but also for his family. I know that you being there to care for him is a comfort to them. It's hard to see a loved one suffer with that disease. I too hope I never have it, but if I do, I want someone like you to take care of me!

    Please don't think, however, that I'm encouraging you not to pursue new dreams and goals. I'm really curious and excited to hear about the career path(s) you are considering. You are talented and awesome, and I think you'll make a wonderful grown up. ;)

    I'll pray for you in your decision making process. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )