A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day



You know, today is Veterans Day. Today I received "thank you", one after another, on Facebook and via my email account. I usually don't even think about the fact that I'm a veteran. But today, it is difficult to forget because the reminders are everywhere--online, on the television, and on the radio. And, it is hard to not feel humble when reading all these notes from people who are expressing their appreciation for things you're not really sure you actually did. I watch programs on the television about war or videos like the one attached to this blog and I think, "Why am I included in THIS group? Why do people count me as one of these people who lost legs or life? I just have always had the hardest time reconciling myself to the idea that I belong to that brotherhood.
My Daddy has told me--more than once--that I shouldn't lessen my contribution to our brotherhood. (Both my Daddy and my brother, Jon, are veterans, also.) But it is still hard. So, today I read something online which made all this make a little more sense to me.
"A Veteran is someone, who at one point in their life,wrote a
blank check payable to the United States of America for an
amount up to, and including, their life. That is beyond honor,
and there are way too many people in this country who no longer
remember that fact."
I suppose it is possible that I also need to remember that fact. I was talking to my little brother, Douglas, this evening and he reminded me that--though I didn't have to do so--I would have been willing to pay the ultimate price if it had been needed. I guess the willingness is all that is really needed to make a person worthy of belonging to the brotherhood of Veterans. And I had it--the willingness, that is. It is nice to know I belong there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )