A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Monday, November 22, 2010

Red Bell Pepper Hummus



Dear Lana,
I tried out a hummus recipe today. It turned out pretty well. Not quite as tasty as the stuff we had at Jason's, but not bad. Have you tried out any of the ones I sent you?
Here is the recipe:

Red Bell Pepper Hummus

-1 15 to 16-ounce can of garbanzo beans
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 medium red bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces
-1 tablespoon tahini
-1 fresh squeezed lime
-1 1/2 tablespoon water
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/4 teaspoon cumin
-1/4 teaspoon cayenne
-1/4 cup fresh basil

Okay, here are a few caveats, though. I didn't have any lime. I used a lemon. I also didn't have garlic powder. I cut up two large garlic cloves into chunks and threw them into the food processor along with the rest. I used a little bit less than 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Upon eating it, I found that a little less garlic was perfect. Additionally, I had no fresh basil, so I added nothing in its place. I guess I should have tried something from my garden. Ahhh well, next time.
Okay, so throw all everything in the blender and blend until smooth. It is actually a very simple recipe and it doesn't take much time to make--maybe a total of 15 minutes. I imagine you could store it and snack on it all week with your carrots and celery. It strikes me as a good snack (along with the veggies) for a diabetic or someone who is striving to lose weight by eating well (and tasty) snacks for mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
I read a few of the reviews on this recipe and many of them said that they left off the water because they thought it'd be too watery. It could be true. Just thought I'd mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )