A LOOK AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF A CONSERVATIVE FREE-SPIRIT

Sunday, November 28, 2010

El Toro Restaurant in Houston

Be aware that I'm not a professional reviewer, by any means. I'm just writing about a restaurant which is my aunt's favorite one. She and I visited on Friday afternoon for lunch and found it to be very unique in its decor and atmosphere. It was almost as if it were some swanky restaurant in some big city--but on a smaller scale.















As Aunt Nona and I stepped into the restaurant, we saw this red reindeer standing on the front greeting station. There were more Christmas decorations, but I didn't have the smart button on whilst I was there so y'all will have to imagine how cool they looked.












This is only a part of the wall art in the hallway leading to los banos. Gorgeous isn't it? All the decor is beautiful--tons better than the decor you see in most Mexican restaurants.















Between the bar and the restaurant proper are these tilted crushed glass "windows" which separate--kinda--the two parts of the restaurant. I thought it just looked really cool! At the time I took the picture, I wasn't aware that man was looking my way. Oops! On the left of the crushed glass is the restaurant half. This picture shows the bar half of the restaurant. It is actually a rather small restaurant. However, the atmosphere is quite charming, unique, interesting, etc. I'm sure if a person who doesn't know me well would have thought it was very odd that I was continually looking around the restaurant drinking in the decor.

















Check out this bathroom!! How cool is this sink? You have to press that pokey stick thingie--either up or down, I don't remember--and the water flows out in a modern art waterfall-ish way.



















Well, this picture is sideways. The plates sit horizontally when you are eating off of them. I wish I'd remembered to take a photo when the plate was still full of food. Alas! I forgot! Y'all have to imagine a taco and a chicken flauta and some pico de gallo and some avocado chunks. Everything was tasty. I chose the Nonita plate which y'all may remember from a blog I wrote a few months ago(which you can find here). Next time, however, I'm going to try something else. I didn't really look at the menu cos I wanted to try the plate named after my aunt. However, the website (found here). The website has a tab for the menu, the locations, catering info and contact info.











Here are two pictures of Aunt Nona's favorite El Toro manager. There are two of them: Kevin and Devin (I think). This one is Kevin. He is very helpful and friendly. In case you're wondering, I'm saying all these nice things about him as a bribe, of sorts. I know he will read this blog and I want him to keep taking care of my aunt. ;-P I'm kidding, of course. I imagine he'd continue to take care of her even if I didn't say nice things about him.

So, just in case you're wondering--I recommend it. I enjoyed myself. The food was good. The company was good. (Thanks for lunch, Aunt Nona) and the manager came over to our table especially. He seems to really like my aunt. They seem to know things about each other's lives and I really think it is cool that he "created" a dish just for Aunt Nona and named it after her. In case you haven't heard that story, click here for the whole exciting tale.

Go y'all! Tell Kevin I sent ya. Maybe he'll give me a free meal next time I
visit. ;-P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Y'all!!
I'm so glad you came to visit and welcome your comments!
Hope ya have a great day!
Loralee : )